All about Eastermar
NederlandsFriesDuits

Unfortunately, at the moment we can provide only parts of this website in the English language. For those parts of the website that not yet have been translated we recommend use of the Google Translate option above.

Nieuwe encyclopedie van Fryslân voor slechts € 29,90 incl. verzenden!

Aanbieding: Nieuwe encyclopedie van Fryslân voor slechts € 29,90 incl. verzenden!

Bijna 8 kilogram aan kennis over Friesland! Wees er snel bij want op is op.

De Nieuwe Encyclopedie van Fryslân is een onmisbare aanvulling in de boekenkast voor iedereen die gek is van Fryslân en meer wil weten van deze provincie. Op 15 september 2016 verscheen de vierdelige encyclopedie die rond de 3000 pagina’s telt, 11.000 trefwoorden bevat en ruim 8 kilo weegt. De encyclopedie staat bomvol actuele kennis over Fryslân en is een echte pageturner geworden.

Voor al diegenen die dit standaardwerk over Fryslân altijd al hadden willen hebben! Nu voor een wel heel speciaal prijsje! Maar let op! Op = Op!

| Prijs inclusief verzenden: € 29,90

All about Eastermar


Deel:

-

-

Eastermar

Eastermar

A peaceful place surrounded by water and nature

Eastermar is a small village with around 1600 inhabitants that is surrounded by nature and water.
It is located in northern-east of Friesland between Leeuwarden and Drachten, surrounded by green fields and two big lakes, the Burgumermeer and De Leien, that cheer the hearts of everyone who is in love with nature and water.
The historical village is thus not only easy reachable by car and bicycle, but also easy to reach by everyone who arrives by boat over the unique Frisian waterways. Eastermar provides its visitors a quiet and peaceful stay that is underlined through the beauty of its historical buildings and the natural resources around it.

The small elongated village consists out of two prior independent parts, It Heechsân and De Wal, and has its roots in medieval ages as an agricultural settlement. Within the 18th century, the village increased importance through peat extraction in the surroundings, as well as through its great connection to the Frisian waterways. The small canal and several old buildings situated in the village create an atmosphere of how life has been in ancient ages.

The centre of the village is defined by cosy houses and several small shops that offer essentials as well as local products. Moreover, the village comprises a pleasant hotel and guest house, a small quaint theatre and multiple possibilities to rest for dining and enjoying cold and warm drinks.

The small marina of Eastermar is located directly next to the village centre and can be seen as the hotspot of the village. It can act as the starting point to discover the beautiful nature of the Burgumermeer and De Leien by water, but also as the perfect ending point for a daytrip on the water. Visitors reach all important facilities in the village within a 2-minutes walk from the marina to the village centre.
Yet, not only boat owners and nature lovers get their moneys worth:
Fishing sport aficionados love the comprehensive abundance of fish in the surrounded waters and cyclists find a bike shop in Eastermar, where spares can be bought and bikes can be rented. In the warmer months, different village festivals take place in Eastermar, which attract people of all ages. The village mostly gets a warm place within the hearts of everyone who has ever visited it – this is also demonstrated by the international top model Doutzen Kroes who says to be a proud ex resident of Eastermar.

Eastermar is the perfect place for everyone who wants to get out of the stress and crowded streets of their daily lives in a city.
Enjoyment of nature and beautiful waterways, ancient buildings and a quaint village centre pour on the peaceful charm of Eastermar, which makes it definitely worth to visit this quiet and idyllic place within Friesland. The village provides its visitors all important facilities to enjoy their stay and leads them to leaving all their cares behind....

For further information about Eastermar, please take a look at the information provided on
www.frieslandwonderland.nl or visit the official websites
www.eastermar.nl and http://www.tip-eastermar.nl/

The local tourist information centre is open daily between 09.00 and 19.00 o clock and located at Beimastrjitte 53 in Eastermar.

©text: D.Schirrmacher, G.Stelwagen

©

History of Eastermar

Eastermar is een uitgestrekt streekdorp dat uit twee kernen bestaat: It Heechsân dat op een hoge zandrug ten oosten van het Bergumermeer ligt en De Wal bij de Lits ten zuidoosten van dit meer. It Heechsân is als agrarische nederzetting al in de Middeleeuwen ontstaan en had een vrij losse, verspreide bebouwing. Waarschijnlijk is vanaf het einde van de 16de eeuw het zwaartepunt van het dorp naar het zuiden verschoven, waar bij de waterverkeersverbinding goede kansen lagen en verveningen op gang kwamen. Van de grietenijkaart in de Schotanus-atlas uit 1716 blijkt de waterbuurt De Wal met iets noordelijker Snakkerburen al ontwikkeld tot een buurt rond een insteekhaven.

De turfwinning zou tot het midden van de 18de eeuw voortduren en de buurt ontwikkelde zich dankzij de turfhandel en –schipperij. Ook de Tegenwoordige Staat van Friesland meldde in 1786 de uitgestrektheid van het dorp en: ‘De kerkbuurt ligt hoog, vooral het kerkhof, van ’t welk men een zeer vermaakelyk gezigt heeft over de laager landen en het Bergumer Meer; doch ’t meerendeel der huizen maakt eene dubbele buurt, tusschen 3 en 400 roeden van daar ten Zuid-Zuidwesten.’ Bovendien werd gemeld dat ‘onder dit dorp ook de herberg Schuilenburg aan ’t Collonels diept [behoort], welke tot een bekwaame pleisterplaats aan den mond van het Bergumer Meer verstrekt.’

De kerk is in de oude kern gebleven. Zij werd in 1869 gesloopt nadat even zuidelijker een nieuwe kerk in decoratieve, eclectische stijl was gebouwd. Een paar jaar later, in 1875, werd tegenover de kerk een fraaie pastorie gebouwd en ernaast in 1924 een ‘Gebouw voor christelijke belangen’ met een expressief torentje. Bij de oude, eenzame toren bleef de gemeenschap zijn doden begraven. De oude ongelede zadeldaktoren is sinds mensenheugenis begroeid. De klimop is al op te merken op een tekening uit 1721.

De buurt bij de Lits heeft een volstrekt ander karakter met dichtbebouwde straten met hier en daar 18de- en 19de-eeuwse panden. Bij de driesprong is een pleinvormige ruimte ontstaan.

Tekst: © NoordBoek - Peter Karstkarel • Foto: © FrieslandWonderland

Webshop

Mogelijk hebben de volgende producten uit onze webshop ook uw interesse. Deze producten worden u aangeboden in samenwerking met diverse uitgeverijen, erfgoedinstellingen en fotografen.

Tietjerksteradeel in de atlas van Eekhoff

Tietjerksteradeel in de atlas van Eekhoff

Tietjerksteradeel in de atlas van Schotanus

Tietjerksteradeel in de atlas van Schotanus